Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving with the Fam

We went to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. I'm sure it was crowded at most airports, but ours was eerily calm for some reason. Our flight was at 8pm, but being that it was "the most heavily traveled day of the year", we decided to arrive at 4pm. Yes, the parking lot was very full and we had to park in the overflow economy lot, which is as far away as you can get, but there was barely a line to check our luggage, a short line through security, and we got to our gate with 3 1/2 hours to kill. Sheesh. However, I'd rather do that than to arrive 2 hours ahead and find long lines in both places and be all stressed out. So naturally we ate, then shopped, then pottied, then shopped, then sat, then walked around, then pottied, then sat. It was fine.

Had a great time with the family. It was nice going from 50 degrees and drizzle to 70 degrees and sun. I tried to soak up as much of it as I could. There were 10 of us for dinner. I have 2 brothers with wives, 2 nephews, my parents, and of course me and the Hubbs. It's hard to get us ALL together at the same time, so it was really nice. I think the last time was in Vegas in 2005. That was for my husband's and eldest brother's 50th birthdays, which are a week apart.

Ok, here's the problem. I have some pictures but not all of them. I have a 4GB memory card in my Canon digital camera, and after 2 years and over 1,000 pictures, it decided to throw a "Memory Card Error" on me -- AFTER I took a bunch of pictures over the Thanksgiving weekend. After researching, I discovered that I have to buy a card reader (which I never heard of before) to get the pictures off of it and on to my computer, but it's not guaranteed that it'll work. It depends on how bad the data was corrupted. Darn technology. I thought I liked it. Anyway, we went to Walgreens and bought another card so I could take pictures of what remained of the weekend.

Here are a few shots of our trip to Sedona. It's just beautiful. My Grandparents lived in Arizona when I was growing up, so we'd drive there from Los Angeles often, and I've always loved going to Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon. There is a church built into the rocks that is so pretty that I'm going to make a separate post about it. (Yes, I know I'm slow at posting and I haven't even finished my Alaska cruise series yet, but bear with me!) As always, click the pictures to make them bigger. These are best viewed BIG. They are really gorgeous.










































































Edited to add: I had gotten a new Flip Video camera just before the trip (I LOVE IT, and will make a post about it later). I was playing with the software it comes with, and here's what I made.

3 comments:

Jose said...

I am glad your trip to Phoenix was uneventful and that you had a great time with your family. And you are right about the weather,it's been wonderful here.

DrillerAA said...

There are some very nice photos here. I like the scenery in the southwest, I just could live with the sand and heat.
Just a note, typically a 4GB memory card in a High Capacity (HC) card and will not function in all cameras. However, if it worked in your camera, you can download the photos directly from the camera without a special card reader. The camera is your special card reader. You might want to buy a few 1GB or 2GB cards instead. They will work on any computer. Oh yeah, download and empty the card after each photo session. It will make a difference.

Joyce said...

Jose - we really did enjoy the weather. Thanksgiving day itself was a little drizzly and cloudy, but it got much better after that. We went to White Tank mountains on Friday and it was sooo nice.

Driller - The card had been working fine in my camera for 2 years, and I had no problems at all transferring the pictures from the camera directly onto my computer using the cord that came with the camera. There were never any problems until this happened. I searched an online message board and discovered other people had this problem too. That's how I found out that I could "maybe" get the pictures off the card by using a card reader, since my usual method of the cord wouldn't work due to the corrupted data. I'm now waiting for the card reader from Amazon any day now and keeping my fingers crossed!